I always have an internal debate going on. I like to mull things over. I learned a lot about myself recovering from a serious mental illness. I used to live in a near constant state of paranoia and psychosis. It took an arrest and the threat of losing my then young son and daughter to accept proper treatment.
I think sometimes people on support groups I have belonged do not encourage people to improve themselves
but actually validate unproductive behavior with misplace sympathy.
I fight impulsive behavior. I have to take steps to make sure I do not
behave impulsively. I cheated in my first marriage. I was a serial
cheater and got caught. I ruined three marriages in the process.
I had a conversation with my first wife at the time in which I blamed my mistakes mental illness and ADD.
She she responded with two good points, first she said, "does that mean
I should hurt less" and the second was, "why was I not important enough
for you to accept treatment".
I believe strongly that if we know
that ADD/ADHD affects us cognitively.It affects our memory and/or can
make act impulsively. If we do not take steps to correct this then we
should expect to make mistakes. Unfortunately these mistakes will in all
likelihood not just affect us they could affect other people.
ADD/ADHD is considered highly treatable and there are many strategies to
combat it. If you do not embrace them do you deserve empathy when you
hurt other people? Just a thought
(Our ADHD Story shares views from other's and do not necessarily represent our own)
- Our ADHD Story is a place where people can share their stories, thoughts, and feelings about ADHD. Get past the generic list of symptoms and see how it is affecting people in real life through personal stories. We are not here to inform you, we are here to engage you.
- ► 2015 (15)
- Tom Nardone, My ADD Was Untreated
- Poem: My ADHD
- The Superstore that Tried to Eat my Saturday
- Overachieving ADHD
- My Child is Not a Zombie
- Undercover ADHD
- ODDly ADDing
- Adult ADD
- Dear Matt Walsh
- Derailed ADHD
- ADHD Despite Perfect Grades
- ADHD and Eating Disorder
- Restless legs or ADHD?
- The Dreamer
- My way: ADHD Poem
- ADHD is Highly Treatable
- A new view on Mother's Day
- ADHD Brain Breaks
- What can you cut out?
- Some kids do need medication
- Three Generations of ADHD: Our Story
- ▼ May (21)