My son was diagnosed with ADHD in kindergarten. I wasn't diagnosed until last year and I am in my late 30s. I also have a seven year old daughter with ADHD as well, but her symptoms were quite obvious from an early age. I never really thought I had ADHD due to my good grades in MOST subjects at school, hyperfocus, and the furthest thing from hyperactive that their is. I didn't realize that hyperfocus was part of ADHD until the last few years when a number of clinicians thought that I presented with it. I have always have had organizational/time management issues and I can talk a mile a minute, In fact my nickname in the family was the "little filibuster". Now I have a child who talks more than I did at that age:). My son has an IEP and my daughter doesn't. Medication has made a huge difference with my son with getting through a school day. I am on a few meds too and I have noticed less circular thinking in my conversations, although my time management skills still need a lot of help.
(Our ADHD Story shares thoughts and ideas that do not necessarily represent our own. To share your story write to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- ► 2015 (15)
- A Mother's Guide to make the best of the IEP Process
- When the School Fails You
- Have faith!
- What can stimulate the ADHD brain? Why you should ...
- Patience and Consistency
- Are you disrupting your treatment?
- ADHD Child Hitting and Kicking?
- I Blame ADHD on...
- You've lived with it this long...
- Chasing Butterflies
- Be Thankful it is Not Your Child
- ADHD Sex Drive
- Girls Get Diagnosed Later Usually
- ADHD and Sleep
- ADHD is a Struggle
- Saving Money- Back to School
- 10 Minutes With an ADHD Brain
- Don't Forget the Quiet ADHD Girls
- ADHD Fears
- Why Medication Should be Taken Consistently
- I Feel Like a Horrible Parent
- ADHD and Self Stimulate
- I am a Survivor
- ▼ August (25)