My son was diagnosed with ADHD in kindergarten. I wasn't diagnosed until last year and I am in my late 30s. I also have a seven year old daughter with ADHD as well, but her symptoms were quite obvious from an early age. I never really thought I had ADHD due to my good grades in MOST subjects at school, hyperfocus, and the furthest thing from hyperactive that their is. I didn't realize that hyperfocus was part of ADHD until the last few years when a number of clinicians thought that I presented with it. I have always have had organizational/time management issues and I can talk a mile a minute, In fact my nickname in the family was the "little filibuster". Now I have a child who talks more than I did at that age:). My son has an IEP and my daughter doesn't. Medication has made a huge difference with my son with getting through a school day. I am on a few meds too and I have noticed less circular thinking in my conversations, although my time management skills still need a lot of help.
(Our ADHD Story shares thoughts and ideas that do not necessarily represent our own. To share your story write to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Life Done Simple
- Our ADHD Story is a place where people can share their stories, thoughts, and feelings about ADHD. Get past the generic list of symptoms and see how it is affecting people in real life through personal stories. We are not here to inform you, we are here to engage you.
- ► 2015 (15)
- A Mother's Guide to make the best of the IEP Proce...
- When the School Fails You
- Have faith!
- What can stimulate the ADHD brain? Why you should ...
- Patience and Consistency
- Are you disrupting your treatment?
- ADHD Child Hitting and Kicking?
- I Blame ADHD on...
- You've lived with it this long...
- Chasing Butterflies
- Be Thankful it is Not Your Child
- ADHD Sex Drive
- Girls Get Diagnosed Later Usually
- ADHD and Sleep
- ADHD is a Struggle
- Saving Money- Back to School
- 10 Minutes With an ADHD Brain
- Don't Forget the Quiet ADHD Girls
- ADHD Fears
- Why Medication Should be Taken Consistently
- I Feel Like a Horrible Parent
- ADHD and Self Stimulate
- I am a Survivor
- ▼ August (25)