Since my recent diagnosis my pet peeve phrase I am already tired of hearing is "You've lived this long with it" or "You made it this far without knowing", like that is supposed to suddenly make it better. Yes, I have lived this far without knowing but definitely not in peace or how I am meant to live. It's been stressful, emotionally tough and damaging to my self esteem,always wondering why I am different than everyone else, and being extremely critical of myself with negative self talk for everytime I forget something or can't focus,or make mistakes. It is mentally and emotionally draining.
I understand that the people saying that don't clearly understand and am really not sure if they ever fully can without having to feel that emotional and mental stress every single day. I also dislike it when I recognize why I am how I am and try to explain that to people and they laugh it off like I am making excuses or like it's a joke.It's very real! I used to joke about the whole 'look a squirrel!' thing or 'shiny object' thing but even that is very real and frustrating how quickly we can be distracted.I am glad to finally be diagnosed so I can get the help I needed all my life, but it is hard when I have to wait to get in to see a doc to get on the meds and overwhelming when looking through hundreds and hundreds of tips to help me through.
(Our ADHD Story shares thoughts and ideas that do not necessarily represent our own. To share your story write to email@example.com)
- Our ADHD Story is a place where people can share their stories, thoughts, and feelings about ADHD. Get past the generic list of symptoms and see how it is affecting people in real life through personal stories. We are not here to inform you, we are here to engage you.
- ► 2015 (15)
- A Mother's Guide to make the best of the IEP Proce...
- When the School Fails You
- Have faith!
- What can stimulate the ADHD brain? Why you should ...
- Patience and Consistency
- Are you disrupting your treatment?
- ADHD Child Hitting and Kicking?
- I Blame ADHD on...
- You've lived with it this long...
- Chasing Butterflies
- Be Thankful it is Not Your Child
- ADHD Sex Drive
- Girls Get Diagnosed Later Usually
- ADHD and Sleep
- ADHD is a Struggle
- Saving Money- Back to School
- 10 Minutes With an ADHD Brain
- Don't Forget the Quiet ADHD Girls
- ADHD Fears
- Why Medication Should be Taken Consistently
- I Feel Like a Horrible Parent
- ADHD and Self Stimulate
- I am a Survivor
- ▼ August (25)