- My story..... (Robert)...Like a lot of Baby Boomers, I was diagnosed as an adult. I grew up in New York City, and struggled in school. After I got married & had a child, my first child (a boy) was having some attention problems in school. We spoke to a doctor who suggested that our child might have ADHD. No one knew what that meant in 1992 or 1993. The doctor said it was likely that one of us (as parents) has it.. I was the parent who was identified as having it... I went to a few doctors, and took the usual meds (Ritalin, Cylert, etc)... None of them worked..... We heard about a support group in New York where I could get information & meet peers who have the same issues.
- After going to several meetings, and becoming friendly with the "regulars", who seemed to attend meetings frequently, I realized I had found a "home"....
- The coordinator asked us a dinner one night (after the meeting, it was customary to go out to the local diner after the meeting for a snack) if anyone wanted to help him run the group... A few people said yes, and we formed a steering committee..
- The committee lasted for several years. Like everything else associated with ADD/ADHD, it eventually became just myself & the coordinator. We've been running it alone for about 10 years...
- We agreed long ago to divide responsibilities.... He was always good in dealing with the clinical side.... I worked in sales & marketing, so I always handled advertising the meetings & getting the word out to the community.....
- We have a combination of lectures & support group meetings. I use a variety of social media sites, including FB, Twitter, Linkedin, etc, as well as older formats such as Yahoo Groups.... Our FB page is The Manhattan Adult ADHD Support Group
Wednesday, June 11, 2014
- ► 2015 (15)
- Try ADHD Medication
- When Not Medicated...
- Is ADHD Our of Control Hyper?
- In The Middle
- Stereotyping ADHD
- Light at the End of the Tunnel
- 'Accidental' Help
- He's Just Being a Boy?
- Wondering What a Pill Will Do to Me
- Quiet and Reserved
- Severe ADHD
- ADHD Support: Poem
- Is ADHD a disability?
- A ADHD parent with an ADHD Child
- Teenager ODD
- Ways to Remember Your Medication
- Judging ADHD
- Baby Boomer
- Choosing ADHD Medication
- Climbing Higher with ADHD Medication
- A New Look
- When ADHD Medication Wears Off
- ADHD finding Normal "base line"
- Teachers Commit to the Full Year.
- A Mother’s Choice: My journey accepting my child,
- Gifted ADHD
- Poem: Another tale from the darkness:Breath Taking...
- ADD Inattentive Type
- Hell and Back
- Relationships and ADHD
- ▼ June (33)