What is your biggest issue with people who don't have and/or don't understand ADHD?
It really bothers me when people make stereotypical statements about me or others having ADHD (ex. you'll never finish it so why start, you can't do that, your parents didn't raise you right, adults can't have ADHD, etc). Others think that I'm less competent to do certain tasks because of my ADHD, when they really don't know me or my abilities. In all actuality, I know more about that particular subject than most people, I just tend to get side tracked a little. Then there are those who have bought into the idea that people who have ADHD are "mentally retarded". They treat people that have ADHD almost as if we're diseased. I've been told that my parents should've whipped me more as a child. My parents beat the crap out of me when I was younger and guess what, I still have ADHD. What's even worse than any of that is having multiple diagnosis. I have BPD, OCD & ADHD. Let the stereotypes fly when someone finds out that I have all of them. All I can do is roll with the punches and try to educate anyone who'll hear me out.
One of our Admins on our Facebook page Our ADHD Story
(Our ADHD Story shares thoughts and ideas that do not necessarily represent our own. To share your story write to email@example.com)
Life Done Simple
- Our ADHD Story is a place where people can share their stories, thoughts, and feelings about ADHD. Get past the generic list of symptoms and see how it is affecting people in real life through personal stories. We are not here to inform you, we are here to engage you.
- ► 2015 (15)
- Try ADHD Medication
- When Not Medicated...
- Is ADHD Our of Control Hyper?
- In The Middle
- Stereotyping ADHD
- Light at the End of the Tunnel
- 'Accidental' Help
- He's Just Being a Boy?
- Wondering What a Pill Will Do to Me
- Quiet and Reserved
- Severe ADHD
- ADHD Support: Poem
- Is ADHD a disability?
- A ADHD parent with an ADHD Child
- Teenager ODD
- Ways to Remember Your Medication
- Judging ADHD
- Baby Boomer
- Choosing ADHD Medication
- Climbing Higher with ADHD Medication
- A New Look
- When ADHD Medication Wears Off
- ADHD finding Normal "base line"
- Teachers Commit to the Full Year.
- A Mother’s Choice: My journey accepting my child,
- Gifted ADHD
- Poem: Another tale from the darkness:Breath Taking...
- ADD Inattentive Type
- Hell and Back
- Relationships and ADHD
- ▼ June (33)